Monday, June 7, 2010

Finding the time to write

I find that I'm a HUGE procrastinator. I tend to wait until the last minute on projects. This, I believe, comes from many, many years of always being so overbooked with projects that I have to do a little triage. I attend to and finish the projects with the closer deadline. This is in many facets of my life. As a coach, wife, mother, student, laundress, etc. When something comes up that needs my attention and is more important or has a closer deadline than whatever project I'm working on, I am really good at pushing things off and juggling. Especially when it comes to putting family and friends ahead of myself.

This can be a great sign of a successful multi-tasker, or the crazy ramblings of a brain-fried procrastinator. Probably both.....but definitely My Nemesis. My Weakness. My Flaw.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I must set deadlines for myself. In fact, I must set these deadlines and have a way to hold myself accountable, or I will keep pushing it off. This week, I have a project that will take up some time as I have been asked to choreograph a cheer dance routine for a local JV team. But once it is taught, I have a clear calendar to make finishing my manuscript my top priority.

This is where you guys come in. I'm going to post my goals, and hope that you guys will help keep me accountable to them. I am still just getting my feet wet with taking my writing from hobby to career. But I know if I don't start taking it seriously, than how can I expect anyone else.

My first goal for this week: To make a list of specific, attainable, short-term goals and have it posted on my blog by Sunday.

There we go. Goal number #1, Deadline: Sunday at midnight. (Yes, I'm one of those night writers, who tend to stay up late and write when it is quieter)


I'm looking for great ideas to help me find the time to write. I'd love to hear what suggestions or ideas you might have. Let me know what you think.

Kris

2 comments:

  1. I find setting a timer for 1hr helpful. I write for 1hr solid and then 'treat' myself with 15 min surfing (also timed!! Most important!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. while i was recovering from an unexpected appendectomy - i sat and wrote for two straight days while my family cooked and cleaned. someday - i may try that again - only without the surgery part!! good luck making time - thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete